The Widick Family

Thursday, March 4, 2010

The 3-Ring Circus



Well, that's what I feel like when I take all the kids out. In case you didn't know, I take care of twins that belong to some friends from church. Nathan and Natalie (9 months tomorrow!) and Josie (21 months) keep my days very busy! We have a very routine schedule that we stick to most days, which makes taking care of 3 kids under 2, well, "doable." (I would never use the word "easy" or even "easier"!!! It is definitely work!) Because the kids like it, but mostly for my own sanity, once or twice a week we get out and go to the store. I used to put two of them in the double stroller and carry one in a sling. But 1.) the sling was getting heavier and heavier and 2.) it was hard to maneuver the stroller while also carrying a kid in the sling. A couple of months ago, we acquired a triple jogging stroller off of Craig's List, which helps in carting the "posse" around. We really like the triple stroller. Although gargantuan in size, the kids all have their own space. We just barely fit down the aisle in Target & Wal-Mart!
Regardless of how we get around, we always get stares (and comments!) from everyone we pass. It's mostly just points and whispers, or "you have your hands full!" (no, really??? Do I????) One day a man actually yelled at me from across a parking lot, "God bless you!!! I only have one!" Today I had to listen to a 10 minute speech from a lady who had cornered us about her family's "twin history." And of course, there's always the little kid who says "Mommy...look at all the babies!"
So, I've decided that instead of feeling like the "freak show" everyone is staring at, I'm going to pretend that I'm a famous celebrity! Seriously, this is how they must feel to be gawked at and pointed at everywhere they go. I think it'll be a much more glamorous way of dealing with all of the attention.

2 comments:

  1. That's hilarious. Sunny and I used to get those kinds of stares / comments, too. If I had a nickel for every time somebody said, "Boy, you sure do have your hands full,"...well, I'd have a lot of nickels.

    Do people randomly come up and want to touch the kids? That used to really annoy me and Sunny. It's one thing to hear some random person's comments, but just because my kids are cute doesn't mean you have the liberty to just come up and grab their hands or touch their faces!

    Maybe it's a twin thing or something. I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so feel your pain!!! I can only imagine the size of that triplet stroller. Good for you for going out! I definitely know how full your hands are! We sure do miss you all!

    ReplyDelete