It's really hard to believe that it's been an entire week since Granny went to be with Jesus. The past week has been such a whirlwind of emotions.
These are a few of my favorite Granny memories:
- Granny never EVER began a day of shopping without first getting a Hardee's biscuit.
- Each year, our birthday cards were typically a few days late and signed, "lots of love, Always Late Granny".
- Granny loved a good bargain. She could look at a clearance rack for what seemed like forever, and then walk away empty-handed.
- When we were little, Granny & Pa loved to take us fishing. One day my sister, Leah, threw her whole rod in the lake because her baited cricket touched her. Granny loved retelling a funny story.
- I was baptized by Pa at Granny & Pa's church in Tallassee, AL.
- Granny was always easy-going. I don't remember her ever arguing with anyone about anything.
- At holiday get-togethers, we'd stay up playing the domino game "Chicken-Foot". Granny and Mama Stiff (her mom) always played with us.
- Granny was always careful not to have a "favorite." So, at Christmas we all got the same things in different colors. You were lucky if you got to open yours first so you'd be surprised.
- Lane and I have a pretty unusual last name. It took Granny a while to get it right after we got married. I remember getting a card to "Lane and Kristen Widdrick" once.
- I will forever be thankful of the day that Josie and I got to spend with Granny & Pa back in May. Lane was in China, and we had flown to Hartselle for Josie's birthday party. Before anyone else got there, Josie and I got to spend an entire day with Granny & Pa (and my Mom and Dad.) Granny was so proud of Josie! I'm glad they got to spend that time together! It makes me sad to think Josie will probably not remember her.
I will always think of her with "lots of love."