The Widick Family

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Birthday Cakes of Josie's Past

When I was little, my mom made our birthday cakes each year.  I remember having a Rainbow Bright cake, a Gummi Bears cake, and a New Kids on the Block cake.  It's a tradition that I wanted to carry on with my own kids.  So, each year so far I have made Josie's birthday cake.  Since we just celebrated her 4th birthday, I was thinking of all the cakes of the past years and wanted to put pictures of them all together.  By no means am I anywhere near Cake Boss employment, but I'm still pretty proud of these creations.  More importantly--it was something that I got to do for my little girl to make her feel special.   I have spent HOURS on each one, but I really have enjoyed making these and look forward to making more special memories in the future.  I think it will be neat one day to be able to look back at the pictures and all the past memories that go with it.  This is what I've done so far....

1st Birthday: Butterfly Party
(this one's my personal favorite)
I made this cake at my in-law's house.  We had moved to Houston that spring and soon thereafter learned that Lane's sister, Mary Anne had breast cancer.  We traveled back to TN for her surgery and had Josie's birthday party while we were there. 
She also had her own personal heart-shaped cake, 
which she enjoyed digging in while yelling "cake!!!"

 2nd Birthday:  WonderPets Party
I made this cake at my parents' house.  Lane was on a mission trip to China, and while he was gone Josie and I went to AL for one weekend.  It really was a "wonder" that we finally got pics of this cake with all the pieces still on it!  It was so hot and humid that day, the icing was literally melting off of the cake faster than I could get it on there!  Poor Lenny, Tuck, and Ming Ming, too kept sliding off!  
 I'd rate this one as the most frustrating.

3rd Birthday:  Tea Party
This was my first true "Cake Boss" type attempt and my first cake to make in my own kitchen!  I stepped outside the "pan" and made the cake for the teapot and teacups from bowls.  I also fancied up some of the icing by adding some chocolate raspberry coffee to the chocolate icing.  This was also my first time to work with fondant, of which I was not a fan. 


 4th Birthday:  Watermelon Party
I prayed over this cake the night before the party.  I was so afraid I was going to get up party morning and find the watermelon "wedges" had split and fallen apart.  God heard my pleas and although slouching, 
the wedges held it together (and so did I!).  


1 comment:

  1. My mother-inlaw makes my girl's birthday cakes. I'm very thankful I don't have to stress over that on party day. Last year for Christmas, I made her a Shutterfly photo book of all of the 15+ birthday cakes she had made my girls since Morgan was born. She cried over that special gift.
    You've done a great job on Josie's cakes!

    ReplyDelete