The Widick Family

Monday, June 7, 2010

Josie's Flowers

Grandmommy and Granddaddy gave Josie a sunflower planting kit for her birthday. Josie has been a big helper in helping to water "mommy's flowers". So I knew she was really going to enjoy having "Josie's flowers" to take care of! The kit came with everything we needed!

First, we added water to the pellets and watched them grow into dirt. Then we got to dig around in it with our rake.Next, we got to decorate our planter cups with stickers and then fill them half-way with dirt.
(Mommy had to supervise this project a lot!)
Then we added the seeds. We counted 3 seeds to put in each cup. Then we covered them up with more dirt. Josie is a very good counter!
Then we put them in the window sill so they can get sun and grow big enough to transfer outside to the yard. We did this about a week ago, and the plants are already big enough to move outside! (We would have moved them this past weekend, except that the stomach bug invaded our house and we were all sick!) Hopefully we can move them out to the yard next weekend. At this rate, we may have blooming sunflowers by the Fourth of July! Josie will be so proud! Hopefully it won't take her as long as it took me to acquire her green thumb!

2 comments:

  1. How much fun! We have some sunflowers growing this year also although I think I am more excited about them then the kids are. Next year you should try pumpkins. We tried last year and they grew except the bugs got them before we got pumpkins so I am trying again this year along with watermelon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pumpkins are a good idea! I've really proven myself more "green-thumbed" this year with my flowers! They look really good! Next year, I would really like to try a small garden with squash, zuccinni, tomatoes, peppers, cantaloupe, watermelon.....Maybe I need a BIG garden! ;-)

    ReplyDelete