The Widick Family

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Baby Shower Ideas and Crafts

Yesterday I helped to host a baby shower for a sweet couple at church, Kathryn and Clayton and their sweet girl-on-the-way, Alexa. Lane married Kathryn and Clayton a couple of years ago, they've been great babysitters for us, and now they are having their first baby! So, I wanted the shower to be special.
I've been wanting to try making a watermelon carriage for a while now. (The last baby shower we had, watermelons were out of season....even in Houston.) It took me longer than it probably should have because I was so scared of messing it up! I probably worked on it for about an hour. But honestly, the hardest part was getting all of the watermelon out of the rind. Then I just carved a scalloped design around the edges I'd cut. It turned out really cute! While I was working on it, Josie asked me if she rode in it when she was a baby. Then she asked me if she could ride in it now. Then she asked me if her baby could ride in it, too. The answer to her questions was "no, Josie", but she did get to eat some watermelon. :-)
I also combined a few ideas I found while browsing on baby shower websites to make Alexa a hairbow holder/ blessing board. I painted a pre-cut board and hot glued ribbon on it to make a hair bow holder. At the shower, we passed out cute paper for everyone to write a prayer or blessing on. Then they clipped them to the hairbow holder. I also gave Kathryn a small photo album to save the prayer/blessing cards in when she takes them down to use the hairbow holder for actual hairbows. This turned out SUPER cute! I will definitely use this idea at every shower I host from now on (for girls, anyway...).



1 comment: